Monday, October 5, 2009

Poverty Blog

To me poverty is somewhere you go, somewhere when all you have is no longer there, but is now all you had. Poverty can mean many things, usually something slightly different for everyone but my view is mainly just, the bottom. The bottom of the food chain, rock bottom. When food is scarce, and when personal income just isn't coming in anymore.
Today, I went to We day, for anyone who doesn't all ready know, it's a gathering of thousands (16 thousand to be exact) of students. During this gathering, you hear lots of important leaders speak, like Pinball Clemens, Robert Kennedy Jr. and Craig and Mark Keilburger. So this morning I got on the bus at 5:30 am to go to the air canada center in toronto. The conference/show/gathering also includes many famous musicians, such as the jonas brothers, hedley and justin beiber. The whole thing was almost overwhelming, all the information I was taking on in just a few hours, didn't really register in my head until later on in the presentation when I was listening to a man, 81 years old talk about his lifetime of struggle. This man, at the age of 15 a very poor child from a very poor orthodox jewish family, survived the holocaust. The mans voice was wise but weak and his english not perfect, but to me it didn't matter, because l was so interested in what he had to say that I finally started to register all the things I had learned about poverty from these speakers.
Before today my understanding of poverty has changed radically because of We Day, also, we day was one of the most inspirational, and motivational days of my life. Craig and Mark Keilburger really connected with the audience and got everyone motivated to change the world like they did. They weren't afraid to show and also tell us about the reality of extreme poverty like some speakers would be, they've taught me more than I would ever think someone can teach in a couple hours.
To conclude, to me poverty is somewhere you go, somewhere where love, help, money and a future seem to be impossible to acheive.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved the firs paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lizzie13, your first paragraph was a good start to this post and your definition of poverty is intriguing Poka Ball Hero. I enjoyed reading about your experience at We Day and wish I could have been apart of it. In your next post try to include more of your own thoughts and explain yourself even more. Good first post.

    ReplyDelete